Sunday, November 05, 2006

Shrugged

In my last post, I finished the last volume of the Age Of Apocalypse on my return flight, had a great roast beef sandwich in Chicago,but that is neither here nor there, and finally retunred to the great city of Boston... I haven't gone back and pulled out my New Age of Apocalypse books to really finish out the set, but I'll get there.

Anyway, I have been reading this fairly new book entitled "Shrugged" by Aspen Comics. Aspen is Michael Turner's solo studio. You might know Michael as an artist and creator of Fathom and Witchblade. As well as is stunning renditions of the famed heroines of comic books (Supergirl, Wonder Woman, and many more..)

"Shrugged" takes the idea of each person having a mini angel and devil on their shoulders, offering advice on what to do and expands the world in which those guiding lights come from and what happens when our world and theirs combine, with some pretty dangerous results.

The book features an artist named Micah Gunnell, who pencils in the new school of style, something I am a big fan of, but you can see a touch of Turner's influence, who has a distinctive style all his own. But that is just my opinion, check out Micah's work on his deviantart page. (I linked to it.)

The story has been good so far, especially when the writers took an old concept and revitalized it with great art and a good plotline. Check it out if you get the chance, otherwise check out some of Turner's work... you'll appreciate it.

No comments: