Tuesday, March 20, 2007

BIG NEWS: Baby's First Book: The Lorax

The Free Scribbles family is about to add one more member...

...My wife and I are expecting our first child.

We told our families Sunday night at a nice dinner and presented them each with a children's book and a sonogram picture. We tried to choose a symbolic book that we hope they can share with our soon to be bundle of joy.

But while we were at the book store I wanted to pick up a book for myself. And so to meld my interest in green initiatives and my love of Dr. Suess, an author and artist who made such an impression on my life, I chose the Lorax.

His story so long ago captured the importance of protecting the environment and realizing that greed will not make one happy.

And while I knew the story well from the movie, I had never actually read the book. So after our meal, I sat down and read it aloud, hoping that my child will begin to know me and the value of sustainability. The Lorax' last word rings in the ear. "Unless"...

We all can take creed in the simplest form, aware that our actions can make great strides.

And with all that said, my own little scribble is well on the way!

9 days, 9 runs...

No comments: