Thursday, March 29, 2007

Year One: Run and Done.

I wrote a quick post this afternoon, while I was still rocking an endorphin high fueled by a great sense of achievement as I reached a goal I set for myself 365 days ago, running every single day.

In the past year I have run a total of 1044 miles (2.86 miles daily average) in temperatures ranging from 0 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit and from 4:30am to 11:00pm. In that time I have run in paradise and in hail storms, blizzards and pouring rain. Recently I ran with a 101 degree fever (please don't tell my wife).

I also got married, found out I was going to be a dad, started a new job, and I still ran. I had bad days, where I went out angry only to feel worse because I couldn't enjoy myself. I realized that I needed the runs to calm my nerves, expend excess energy (still love alliteration), and celebrate to myself. I needed them to feel crazy and alive.

Throughout, I have had the support of my fantastic wife, who even though my running seemed like an obsession, still supported my eccentricity. Those days where she advised against it, she still let me go and was there when I got back with a smile and a cold glass of water.

I want to thank the individuals who joined me throughout the year and hope to run with all of them again. First and foremost, my wife, Zuzu and my brother, Rory. I also want to thank Scott, Tom, Tim, Carolyn, Steve, and Jeff for their company.

Tomorrow won't be any different, I will lace up my most important accessory, my New Balance's. Just about every day I wore a pair. I started with my 1023 and until I hit 200, rotated them with my all-time favorites, 751s. Eventually they had to be retired and I have shared the miles with a pair of Zips (8053?) And while I am happy to continue, I am sad to think that eventually my 1023s will have to be relegated to yard work.

I have never urged anyone to join me daily, for each his own. But I have hoped that more individuals will run. We can start the new Revolution!

0 days, x runs... Year Two begins...

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Tim, although I agree with your wife that your self obligation to run is obsessive and eccentric, I think it's truly a great obstacle that not many people can attest to. I'm glad I can say I ran a few of those miles with you. Good luck in year 2. Hope to see you around the 30 day mark, as long as it stops snowing in Boston, until...????

-CSizzle-