Friday, January 26, 2007

Running in the Freezing Cold

Today in the Boston Area it was was 6 degrees with a windchill of -6 or -9. Needless to say, it was cold outside... but I had my streak to see to. And I was excited because I had the roads to myself. Who else would be crazy to go out in this weather and run? ... I like that thought.

After a good four mile run, people asked if I survived. That's a tough question to answer. But then, someone commented about how running in the cold was unhealthy for me, more so than running every day. Well, it's just like me to disprove a statement.

Let me preface my argument by stating that I am aware of the hazards of running in cold weather: The increased chance of ice, dangerous driving conditions make the shoulder more threatening, decreased visibility from snow, hail, freezing rain (already dealt with that this winter), sand or salt kicking up from the streets. Finally, there is the chances of frostbite (after reading this I am pretty certain I got first degree frostbite, oops!) and hypothermia.

But my friend's statment was that breathing in too much cold air was detrimental to the lungs, causing damage to both the immune and the respiratory system. And many others comment about how they feel their lungs burning if they walk up stairs outside.

While many might feel the bitter bite, others can sustain their pace in minus 20 degrees fahrenheit. I don't know if I can, never tried, probably never will. The body warms the air before it hits the lungs, preventing the freezing effect that many fear. Because certain hearts pump stronger or faster than others, the blood circulates through the body, keeping the entire body safe from the ice creeping inside. While the skin and extemities are still susceptible to harm, it can be reduced through proper planning. Layering and maintaining a strong core temperature are two important keys, and wearing a hat will help keeping the heat in.

Returning to my rebuttal, one can maintain safer intake temperature by wearing a mask which warms the air that enters the lung. Sure, I can't handle a mask (I will wear one when skiing or running into a sharp headwind, but can't maintain even a bandana for more than 10 minutes)

But I believe that the most important thing to running in the cold is having the right mentality. That mentality can be several things: Tenacious, Prepared, Determined... as most people would think: Crazy.

In the end, I am willing to do whatever it takes to accomplish my dreams... and I am smart enough to know how to prepare to be crazy enough to see it through.

keeping it going
. (valuable runner's world resource)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks! This helped a bunch! I've seen a couple
rather confusing blogs lately, this cleared up a lot confusion I had.

Anonymous said...

Hey,

When ever I surf on web I come to this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Plenty of useful information on freescribbles.blogspot.com. I am sure due to busy scedules we really do not get time to care about our health. In plain english I must warn you that, you are not serious about your health. Research indicates that about 50% of all United States grownups are either fat or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Hence if you're one of these individuals, you're not alone. In fact, most of us need to lose a few pounds once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? You can easily lose with with little effort. If you improve some of your daily diet habbits then, its like piece of cake to quickly lose weight.

About me: I am webmaster of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health trainer who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under difficult training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effortless weight loss.

Anonymous said...

cheap ugg
uggs selling ft may possibly come in contact with a profuse number of dangers that are generally found out accidentally


jyvg [url=http://www.bootssay.com]ugg boots sale[/url]
The actuality is niagra assortment of footwear is so common in the market in fact it is speedily offered by full retail price ranges. So often it's difficult to seek out price reduction Ugg boot. However, you can take your time to investigation on the internet for occasionally merchants commence to lower price their prices. Be specific and you may determine up obtaining Ugg boot that in shape your manner and taste devoid of producing way too substantially problems for your wallet.


ugg boots on sale
And, to suit your needs, which might not subject. If not the company, on the other hand appear with all the logo that is important for you, move forward and thru an bogus. Plus a humble fortune, a readiness to spend continuous hrs with regards to the World-wide-internet in discount retailers, you will find an ugg boot trunk purchase.