Monday, February 26, 2007

Great Glades!!

I was up north this weekend and while we bypassed skiing on Saturday due to the wind. I did my daily run, just two miles. The wind cut across my face. It was so strong our house shook under some of the gusts, but still I pursued the streak. However, it was too much to spend a day on the mountain. Got to play the Wii, which is pretty awesome!

But Sunday was another story. Had a great day at Bretton Woods. There I dug a little deeper and hit the glades as the day went on. For those of you who don't know, glades are ungroomed trails riddled with moguls and trees. It's not for the faint of heart, and when taken slowly is a painful workout.

Bretton has some great glades, for (glade) rookies or skiers who haven't done it in a while, they really soften the transition. Off the West Mountain, some smooth shallow ones cover the higher part of the mountain. I recommend Lizzie Bourne Glade. And off of Two Mile Rd. lies my favorite run of the day. Enchanted Bear rolling into Minahan's Ridge and finally Hemlock. Enchanted Bear offers a wide pathway with some smooth carves in between the trees. Hemlock was more challenging, at one point being 12 ft across, skied off and steep. Finally, we came out at the bottom, exhausted and sore.

I felt it today on my four mile run. My quads and calves were sore and tomorrow will be worse.
Free scribbles reminds skiiers and snowboarders to be responsible and play within your abilities. Always good to be challenged, but no when to be safe.

Check out the site and the slopes, I'll have more substance tomorrow.

31 days, 31 runs...

No comments: