Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine's Day Storm 2007

Since Monday I had been waiting for the storm to hit Boston on Wednesday. Snow Day? 12+ inches of powder dumped on the city? Yes, please, let me find my shell and shoes.

The thought of running in this weather, like running in sub zero, was very exciting. Why? Two reasons came to mind. First and most importantly, the solitary nature of running. Second, the insanity of the idea.

Running is a lonely sport, one person puts one foot in front of the other and repeats for an extended period of time or distance. But these days, where others tuck in, are the days when one can meditate while moving. Less cars are out, and if you are lucky, there is a park or trail nearby. A place where the other runners go, but not today. Today, the land is clean and pure. No other feet have trampled the turf. The runner is King of the World.

Even, the purist in me needs to have some competition, and the thought of training for an upcoming race (I don't have anything scheduled) when no one else in their right mind would is enticing. It is a test for my body and spirit.

The Valentine's day storm wasn't nearly the wading in snow experience I was expecting, but the freezing rain pelting my cheeks was exhilarating. I urge you to try it sometime, or do a polar plunge, something to make you feel alive. Or at least go skiing this weekend.

43 days, 43 runs...

No comments: