Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Winter's Tease

The weather today was an anomaly for Boston in the winter. Especially compared to how it has been the past week. Today I ran in 40 degrees and felt overdressed. Yesterday, the temperature was considerably less. I could take the zero away. I won't add the wind chill to the formula. Single digits and it felt every bit of the 4 degrees, frigid and blustery.

And it's hard to adjust on a dime to wearing less clothing. I wear a hat and gloves when it dips below 50 degrees because my ears get cold in the wind. And as the mercury drops another 10 degrees, I start wearing long sleeves. When the thermometer dips into the 30s, I start to wear the running tights. I progressively add thicker layers as the cold further chills the air. The ground has become permafrost.

But as the temperature moves up its tough to measure how you'll feel outside. Especially when it is one day thing. Your body want to be comfortable as it has become for you if you dress accordingly. Sweating has become a foreign feeling and it bothers you. Yes, I still sweat, even in the single digits, but it doesn't feel the same as building a hard sweat when overdressed.

I look forward to wearing shorts and a tee, but I'm not ready yet. There's still more skiing to do.

37 days, 37 runs...

No comments: