Monday, April 16, 2007

2007 Marathon to Test Runners' Mettle

The wind has been whipping against my building all night and as I spent from 6-7am laying in bed, I got really excited about today's Boston Marathon. I know the conditions aren't ideal and to be honest, we've been spoiled in the city on Boston on Patriot's Day the last few years with gorgeous weather and the first true signs of Spring.

This year is different with a Nor'easter roaring through the course, and mostly in the face of the runners. As I've said a couple of days ago, I don't like bandits. And I'm curious to see who will back down today.... as this marathon is going to one of the toughest to date, even with the rain supposedly easing before the start.

About 10% of marathon entrants never start. After 18+ weeks of dedicated training and for those who are official, a qualifying marathon already under the belt, I applaud the effort. And while I realize that the weather is worse than most people are used to, I hope that all put in their grittiest efforts on the road today, showing the spectators how tough they are, even the bandits, because they most of all need to show that they deserve it.

Good luck to all runners who brave the wind, rain, and whatever else comes in your way. I will be joining you outside with laces tied, but not for the full 26.2. After my year+ of running (and years before that), these are the days I appreciate, the days when you don't want to go out there and when the chips seemed stacked against you. These are the days when the run transcends the pain and discomfort.

Go Boston Runners!

No comments: