Sunday, April 01, 2007

Solitary Sidewalks No More...

Spring is here...

And with that, all the would be runners and treadmill trotters start to emerge from their cocoons. This development puts me in quite the quandary. As an avid runner, I encourage others to start, but at the same time, I get a little bitter. Where were all these people when winter was here?

I go through this same cycle every year and despite the fact that I know my attitude is irrational it still irks me. How can you truly run, experience the wonder of the run when you are bottled inside, your scenery never changing. The risks are removed, the pleasures limited, and the climate controlled. Many of these same people will return indoors in three months, when it is too hot for them and air conditioned gyms make it easier.

And yet right now these fair weather runners are clogging the trails and walkways. I know longer can get to my meditative state as I dodge these newcomers, immersing myself in the quiet splendor of a good sweat as the wind bites my face.

And with all that said, I know I have more bark than bite. I still urge people to get out there and run, but I add that you should make it more than just a nice weather activity. Run within yourself, but remember that a challenge leads to great ideas, inspires others, and pushes the limits of the body.

Thanks for listen, sometimes you just need to rant...

No comments: