Saturday, April 07, 2007

My First Steps to Responsibility

I'm not as immortal as I wish I was.

Ricky Bobby: Wow. I feel like I'm in Highlander!
Jean Girard: (chuckles, confused) What is the Highlander?
Ricky: It's a movie. It won an Academy Award.
Jean: Oh, for what?
Ricky: Best movie ever made.
-From Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

And while I realize that Ricky was a little off, I have felt like I was in the Highlander at points in my life. Especially when the adrenaline & endorphins are flowing through my bloodstream.

Today I took a small step in reality, but a big step mentally. I purchased a running ID. I realized that I run every single day and more often than not, I have no identification on me (probably 5 out of 370 times).

Like so many individuals out there, I have never thought of the potential risks as happening to me. Luckily, I haven't had any serious incidents, aside from breaking my ankle on a trail run two years ago. But with cars flying around curves and narrow shoulders, the risk is there.

I ordered mine online at roadID.com for $20. It was a small cost for safety. I know Lisa is happier knowing that this father-to-be will be around to be a dad. Not to be pessimistic, but unless I am like Harold Crick, i don't think a wrist accessory will keep me that safe, but better than nothing.

As I wrap this up, I realize that I filled this post with a lot of Will Ferrell references. Which is ironic, as one of his most famous movie roles had him running down a street drunk with nothing on at all. But he has run a couple of Marathons.

No comments: